Monday, September 8, 2014

Baby-Led Weaning: Why I Chose to Let My 5 month old Try Solids

First of all, if you are thinking of doing Baby Led Weaning (BLW), I highly encourage you to read the book. It made me feel much more confident in giving my baby solids when I knew the biology behind it.

My main concerns were - How does the baby chew food? How do you know the baby won't choke?

1. Your baby is just playing with food, not eating for primary nutrition, like an adult would. Food is a new 'toy' for your baby. She will discover that some substances have a taste and can be broken into smaller pieces. Little K started with a slice of fresh peach. She licked it and decided it had a yummy flavor!

In this case, since baby is getting the majority of calories and nutrients from breastmilk or formula, chewing is overrated. Baby can gum or gnaw on food, but she doesn't need to chew efficiently yet. Still, it's a good idea to stick with first foods that are melt-in-mouth baby friendly. Juicy foods (like a good steak) let baby explore a variety of flavors and textures.

2. Young babies have a gag reflux much further forward in their mouths than adults and older children. This helps teach your baby to take small bites and chew her food throughly before swallowing. She has to have the food in small pieces in order to swallow it. Baby will gag on food that is too big without danger of choking.

I knew Little K was ready to start Baby Led Weaning when she grabbed my bowl of cereal and dumped it, followed by grabbing my full spoon and attempting to put it in her mouth. Your baby will let you know when she is ready to try eating like Mama!

No comments:

Post a Comment