Wednesday, October 8, 2014

October Freezer Meals-Choosing the Recipes

This is my third month of freezer meals with a good friend. Our babies are 7 months apart and we both appreciate a healthy, ready-to-eat meal. After working (in or out of the home) all day, it's so wonderful to dig into a hot meal from the slow cooker or a casserole steaming from the oven. We met once a month with the ingredients for us each to make 6 recipes. Then, we go home with half of each recipe for a total of a dozen freezer meals!

Last month I had a lot of dump and go meals. These were mostly slow cooker meals, but I did have a casserole and a batch of white chili. This time I was drooling over some other more labor intensive recipes, so I decided to invest some additional prep time.

First, I went through my Pinterest board for freezer meals and analyzed my recipes for similarities. For instance, if I need shredded chicken for one recipe, I might as well shred a bunch of chicken and use it for multiple recipes. I chose to use shredded chicken in my recipes because my friend made this AWESOME hot chicken salad a couple of months ago. Little K and I especially savored it. It called for shredded chicken, so....I collected shredded chicken recipes.

Hot Chicken Salad from Add a Pinch

The second recipe I chose was Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole. One of my co-workers was raving about the dish...so I had to put it on the list.

Tasty Kitchen Blog: Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole. Guest post by Erica Kastner of Cooking for Seven, recipe submitted by Terri of That's Some Good Cookin'.
Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole from Tasty Kitchen
Keeping with the cooked shredded chicken, I decided on Chicken Enchilada Rice Casserole. The recipe starts with shredded chicken and cooked rice, so.....

chicken-enchilada-rice-casserole-1-5
Chicken Enchilada Rice Casserole from Jo Cooks



This Cheesy Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole is sure to become a new family favorite!  | MomOnTimeout.com | #casserole #chicken #dinner #recipe
Cheesy Chicken Broccoli & Rice Casserole from Mom on Time Out

Now that I'm cooking broccoli, I decided to try this super simple recipe for Jumbo Pasta Shells.

chicken and broccoli stuffed shells with alfredo sauce done
Chicken and Broccoli Stuffed Shells with Alfredo Sauce by Eat at Home Cooks

Well, I ran out of shredded chicken recipes. About that time, I came across this delicious comfort food recipe for Oven-Baked Frito Pie. So, it finished my half dozen recipes.

Oven-Baked Frito Pie from My Family Meal Plan
I will post my shopping list and make-ahead prep after our cooking day! Until then, I'm drooling over the pictures.



No comments:

Post a Comment