Monday, August 31, 2015

Making an Emergency Sub Folder

Like all teachers, I mentally cringe at the thought of having to call in sick. The foremost thought in my mind is, "But I still need to make copies for ___________!" Enter the emergency sub folder.



Substitutes love to come in for me-they like the organization! My regular teaching time is patterned. I start with a research based curriculum and work through it, making adjustments as needed. So, the work for this is written in my weekly plan book and the materials are sitting out on my desk. But, just in case the substitute has issues with any of that, there is a backup-the emergency sub folder.

This contains a list of my daily schedule and student rosters. Then, each period has it's own stack of copies. (I update this periodically to prevent the copies from being WAY too easy for the students.) I include some fun stickers for students, making sure to communicate my expectations for student performance. But the special thing about this folder is the pocket with notecards. Each one lists 'sponge' activities that fill extra time with constructive, learning work! Be sure to include this in your folder and have plenty of resources at the sub's fingertips. You just might find it easier to obtain a good substitute.

No comments:

Post a Comment